Reflective Statement Major + updated Art Of


 

The major project has been quite a journey. There were a lot of ups and a lot of downs. But at the end I am happy with what I have archived. 

My original idea for the film was developed quite early. However the style and look of my film is something I struggled with until the very end. I think I was very much torn between my love for realism and the abstractness that my story suggested. In the end I went with a mix of both. 

I definitely put animation over texturing as I simply wanted to get a complete film done for this submission. But if I would have put more time and effort into the texturing I definitely could have achieved a better look overall. 

While I did not enjoy animating in the beginning, I for sure enjoyed it more at the end. Especially when I had exact reference footage to animate along to such as the walk cycles or the jump. But in general I struggled with finding fitting reference footage. That is why I ended up using a mix of stag, horse and human references.  

I rushed my last scenes a bit which is why I am especially not happy with the end/ explosion part of my film. But I was hoping to polish or upgrade that in after effects after my film is rendered. 

The composer and I worked quite closely at the end. He only really worked intensively on the piece the last 24 hours before the hand in as that is when I was able to give him the finished film to time the music to the animation. We both agreed that it needs some polishing but I was happy with the score he created so far. 

In general I feel like for the last hand in I had a way better work-life-balance. I did not kill myself in the progress, took breaks, went for walks and tried to not stress myself too much. Which is maybe why I didn't get everything done in time the way I wanted it to. But at least I have actually enjoyed it and allowed myself to take the time to work on some areas more focused and not rush too much.    

Overall I think I could have archived more in this project but after all I am pretty happy that I got a full film done and with a bit of polishing hopefully a piece I could be really proud of. 

Even though this last year has not been easy I am quite happy it ended on a high note for me. 



Art of Warm Brothers by Vincent Lange

Comments

Popular Posts