Collaboration: Reflective Statement

The collaboration project has been the most challenging, but also the most fun project in this course so far. In the beginning I was really looking forward to the collaboration project since I was excited to work with other people and also divide tasks which meant that, compared to the other projects, I would not have been responsible for every task on the way. However it did not really turn out that way. Since Odette and I were in a pair, rather than in a group of three, we mainly did all tasks together and therefore had to take on multiple roles in the production.

However Odette and I got a long so well and it was fairly easy for us to decide on a story and the look of our film. The fact that we both have been at uni regularly supported our work flow and I think is the reason for the good outcome of this project, as well as our hard work.

Of course there are multiple areas where our animated short could have been improved but I am overall happy that Odette and I managed to have a complete film at the end, to a standard that we are both happy with. I totally understand the given feedback at the crit. I feel like if we would have been able to finish some of our clips in advance to the deadline, we could have received feedback in time to adjust some of those issues.

I understand that the aspect of the 2D world probably was not as obvious and could have been introduced better. Furthermore I feel like the idea of having the skits recorded by teachers was not as obvious either. Sometimes when you work on a project some aspects of the film become so obvious to you because you know what it is meant to be, without considering that it might be difficult to understand for someone from the outside.

However our biggest weakness in this project from my point of view was probably the branding of our studio. I took on the role for designing the logo and creating the blog but feel like I could have done a better job. But maybe if we would have focused on a better branding, we would not have gotten everything done in time.

We had to make some cuts and smart decisions to be able to make this short film with only two people, in the limited time and still hold up to the level of the other films. But one of the biggest challenges for me in this project was probably that I was only able to use Maya at uni. Since the Uni is not providing us with the opportunity to use Maya computers on the weekend, that put me on some pressure and caused me to schedule my work loud around that. Which especially at the end caused a lot of stress.

Overall I am happy with how the film was reacted to by everyone and we received more positive feedback than I expected. I learned a lot about animation and group work in this project. But it also challenged me in more ways than I originally expected. It made me realize that I need to work on the balance of uni work and my own health in order to manage those projects more professionally and efficient.

Comments

Popular Posts